Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Body Acceptance.........

Posted by CupCake Earthquake at 1:06 PM
So I just mentioned a few posts back that I still see myself in a different light or still see the former *Jodi*. The overweight, very unhealthy and drunk happy fat girl. When I buy clothes I buy an extra large shirt and most of my jeans are two sizes too big. Which I have explained to B and my best friend feel like clouds wrapped in kittens (in a humane way people). I love baggy clothes, or gym clothes it is RARE to find me dressed up or in a dress. I am not sure I own one that actually fits right now. 

I read a lot of blogs, I used to OMZGLOVE a lot of blogs and although I still enjoy reading some of them from time to time I also get very stabby when I read certain posts. 

There is this revolution going on (WHICH I AGREE WITH) that is to change the thinking of body image, self awareness of down talking or body policing ourselves to death. I believe in this movement to an extent. YES you should love yourself at any size, shape or place that you are in life. NO you should not judge yourself based solely upon what size clothing you wear. 

But I do not believe that every person that speaks of diet talk, working out or training for some sort of event outside of do-nut curls is an anti-fat person or is down talking an individual that is not in the same clothing size or weight class. THIS GIRL LOVES do-nuts too!!!!! Just ask B. 

Why can't women just get along? Why can't we all have our place in this world. If I am speaking to someone who is a different size than I am and I mention I am training for X race at Y distance does that NEED to offend that person? Because I am "diet talking"? Could it just be something that really gets MY spirit moving? 

I am by no means asking this person to inflict themselves with such torture.  I am not advocating for change, I am not suggesting that physical fitness or running, or yoga, or WHATEVER is for everyone I am saying it lifts my mind to a better place.


So this happened. I LOVE this idea but where does it end. Can I not be supportive of your movement even while I am challenging myself in a different direction? 

Can't we all just love one another.????

6 comments:

Chelsea Melrose on October 2, 2012 at 1:16 PM said...

I agree with you, just because you are talking about losing weight or dieting, does not by any means infer that you are an anti-fat person. I am overweight and I love myself, despite this. Do I want to lose weight? Yes. But more or less to be healthy, and able to run and play with my kids someday. People should accept themselves no matter their size.

CupCake Earthquake on October 2, 2012 at 1:22 PM said...

Thanks Chelsea.

I just feel so defeated by some of the people I talk to. I am not trying to wage a war. I like being in the blogging world but just because I am one way doesn't mean I don't accept others for who they are or who I USED to be. XO

Dulce on October 2, 2012 at 1:40 PM said...

Accept yourself is great, but we have to be more educated about health, since me for example, i'm overweight, i feel bad with my body, but not for my image on the mirror, but because i feel bad sometimes when i have to climb a simple stair, it's just so crazy how i treat my body, or disrespeact my body to be more precise. Accept the size is great, but not when your health is in danger, and this post just remind me this.
Thanks for sharing

CupCake Earthquake on October 2, 2012 at 1:46 PM said...

Dulce - You are a beautiful woman. You knew that. I know my turning point was not being able to tie my shoe comfortably. That was the end of the line for me with my weight. I was more than ok with the shame of ordering crazy amounts of food, hiding it, eating it alone and so on but when the simplest task made me do a double take I decided to tackle it.

My health was impacted DIRECTLY by losing weight. My body was in exile. It did not like all of the changes and the new lifestyle but again I would not change it for the world because I am able to run around, climb and jump with E.

I don't believe every overweight person's health is in danger but we cannot be blinded by the movement to look past things that might be problems creeping up. At any size we need to be mindful.

You can do anything that you set your mind to.

Live.Love.Random. on October 3, 2012 at 8:59 PM said...

You bring up a great point! I'm a size 14. I found out today actually when I went shopping with my wife. I had to get after her too, because she kept yelling: " Honey! Here's a size 14!" I was mortified. Btw, she's a size 2. Anyway I suffer from B.D.D. (body dysmorphic disorder, every since the age of 10) and my recent weight gain (8 lbs) has really freaked me out! I feel like the fattest vegetarian ever! I eat super healthy, and never go over 2000 calories yet I don't feel like I have a group to "fit in" with. I'm fatter than the skinny girls and skinnier than the fat girls. For example when I'm shopping at forever 21 I look for XL, but if I'm in the plus size I'm looking for the smallest they have....how does that make sense!?!? I'm healthy for the most part (knock on wood) and none of my doctors have ever said that my weight was an issue, so what do I do? I feel like every day is a struggle for me...because I'm not societies norm. I believe in exercise and doing what makes you feel good. Geez I feel like I could go on forever...but I'll stop...I hope I didn't go too off topic!

So I totally agree with you....I just wish we could get along....and I do like encouragement.....if I look good tell me dammit!

Jes The Militant Baker on October 14, 2012 at 11:57 PM said...

I NEED TO WRITE ABOUT THIS.

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving me a lovely comment!! I am so glad you stopped by!

 

Cupcake Earthquake Copyright © 2012 Design by Antonia Sundrani Vinte e poucos