Monday, November 26, 2012

Tribute...

Posted by CupCake Earthquake at 10:25 AM
For years I have been trying to come up with a way that I thought I would find some comfort or a proper tribute to my dad passing. He has been gone well over 20 years now but there is not a day that I do not think about him. 

He wasn't perfect, in fact he was a drunk one that could never seem to stay out of the bottle long enough to "get better". In the 13 years I had him in my life I believe I watched him go in and out of rehab at least 10 times and at least one year in jail. Far from father of the year but he tried. As an adult I can look back and see how many signs there were that he was broken, depressed and in over his head but as a child I always thought that if something could just give him that push he would understand how badly I needed him here. Present and available to me. 

I knew he loved me and that made me the happiest girl. He was gentle, kind and so funny. He would make promises of us moving away from our home where abuse, neglect and craziness were my daily dose of reality. Sadly we just never made that journey together. 

Fast forward many years and too many tattoos later and I started thinking of possible tribute type pieces. I heavily considered an alcohol bottle with his initials and birth date, a portrait and several other things until one day I came across a quote that sealed the deal. 

Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future. ~ Oscar Wilde

I dropped the "and" in mine since it just didn't look "right" and I could not be happier with the font and the placement. 

I believe that this quote rings true in so many situations......It helps me understand the internal struggle that so many people have. 
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving me a lovely comment!! I am so glad you stopped by!

 

Cupcake Earthquake Copyright © 2012 Design by Antonia Sundrani Vinte e poucos