Friday, January 25, 2013

Training Questions...

Posted by CupCake Earthquake at 9:37 AM
Cupcakes I received an email about a month ago, (sorry Katie that it has taken me this long to get this post up!) about training plans I have followed for running. 

I have to be honest I am horrible at following training plans. Simply horrible. I would imagine it has everything to do with time, and my attention span or the fact I just do not think they have a place in my life BUT if you are new to running you have to start somewhere. 

There are plenty of running blogs out there, advice online and what everyone is talking about as far as their new year's resolutions. I have 2 "rules" or guidelines I usually tell people when they are starting out. 

Slow and Steady 


DON'T fall into the TMTS trap. (Too much, too soon)

There is an obvious pattern to most runners life cycles when it comes to running. 

I am going to run, get all the gear and get out there. It's free (sans the gear), it's a great cardio workout and well anyone can do it. 

First run goes down and you are either at the curb trying to puke or it fuels you to keep going "since this is so EASY!" 

Wow it's getting cold/hot outside maybe I will just stay inside and Walk Away The Pounds! 

You're alarm goes off at 4am and you hit snooze. 

How do you break free from the typical cycle? To sound cliche; just do it. 

Some days I hurt everywhere, some days I feel like a natural (these are few and far between) and a lot of times when my alarm goes off I say UHHH REALLY? But I roll out of bed and do it anyway. 

I felt better after Disney than I have ever felt after racing. Was I using a different "method" not really. I just paced myself a lot better, ran smarter and took breaks when I needed to. 

For those of you who are looking to start I suggest this or a lot of people like the Couch to 5k Program. My only suggestion with that program is repeat each week until you are actually running more and walking less or feel like you are "ok" there. 

You will know when you are ok. ;) 

AND!




0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving me a lovely comment!! I am so glad you stopped by!

 

Cupcake Earthquake Copyright © 2012 Design by Antonia Sundrani Vinte e poucos